Before I tell you how you can become a successful blogger, I will tell you my experience and how I was able to
successfully build my blog. When the idea of blogging came to my mind, I didn’t just jump into it, they were things
that I did.
Below are the steps to take when you want to build a successful blog.
Now I will explain the difference to you, to help you decide.
WordPress.org is a self hosted site. It is free, open source and easy to use. You own the website and all its data. You
are free to do what ever you like with it. But you will have to take care of the cost of the hosting plan.
WordPress.com is a hosting service created by the co-founder of WordPress. Here you are not allowed to sell ads on
your website, you cannot upload plugins, you cannot upload custom themes and so on. Basically, you are not free to
do what you want to do.
Blogspot.com is a free domain service provider owned by Google. Here you can create a blog for free. But it is not
owned by you. Google runs this service and has the right to shut it down any time. Whichever one you decide to settle
for, make sure that you do a thorough research about it.
Now if you decide to go for WordPress.org, here’s is what you should do:
1. Choose a niche: When choosing a niche, choose a niche that you are not just passionate about, but a niche that you know very well.
2. Do a thorough research of the niche that you have chosen, check out blogs post on that niche and take a clue from them.
3. Choose a hosting plan: If you don’t have any in mind, I will suggest that you use Namecheap. They are very good, reliable, and very cheap too.
4. Choose a theme: After you have chosen a hosting plan, choose a theme. Choosing a theme can be very challenging, it’s not something to rush, you need to take your time when choosing a theme. As a beginner, I will suggest you go for a free theme. They are so many free themes, just choose the one suitable for your niche and which you can customise.
5. Add a few plugins : if you are using WordPress.org, you will need a few plugins. These plugins have their various functions. For instance, you will need a plugin to post your articles and so on.
6. Study other websites: As a beginner, it’s important to check other websites in your niche to see how they write their articles. This will give you an idea on how to write yours.
7. Start writing articles: As a beginner, it is advisable to write your own articles. Don’t copy other people’s work if you want to be successful, most especially if you intend to monetize it in future. Because google adsense and other monetizing websites do not like plagiarism. So ensure that your articles are unique. It is better to have ten unique articles than to have one hundred copied articles.
8. Include pictures and videos: Try as much as you can to include pictures in all your post.
9. Include links.
10. Finally, share on social media.