Data Processing: This is simply the organising, recording, and handling of data in a meaningful way. Generally, organizations employ computer systems to carry out a series of operations on the data to present, interpret, or obtain information .
The process includes activities like data entry, summary, calculation, storage, etc. Useful and informative output is presented in various appropriate forms such as diagrams, reports, graphics, etc.
Data Processing Cycle
The Data Processing Cycle is a series of steps carried out to extract useful information from raw data.
STAGES OF DATA PROCESSING CYCLE
They are six stages of data processing cycle:
1. DATA COLLECTION: This is the first stage of the data processing cycle, and is very important, as the quality of data collected will impact heavily on the output.
2. DATA COLLATION: This stage involves the preparation and arrangement of the data gathered. Here the collected data is checked for accuracy or verified before inputting in the computer.
3. DATA INPUT: This is the task where verified data is coded or converted into machine readable form so that it can be processed through a computer. Data entry is done through the use of a keyboard, scanner, or data entry from an existing source.
4. DATA PROCESSING: This is the act of arranging and analyzing the inputted data in order to bring out meaningful information.
5.DATA OUTPUT: This is the stage where processed information is now transmitted and displayed to the user through an output device.
6. DATA STORAGE: This is the last stage in the data processing cycle, where data are held for future use.
TYPES OF DATA PROCESSING:
- Scientific data processing
- Real time data processing
- Automatic data processing
- Manual Data processing
FEATURES OF DATA PROCESSING AS A TOOL FOR DATA PROCESSING
1. INCREASED ACCURACY: What this means is that computer is that it does not make mistakes
2. SPEED: Computer is very fast. work which 10 or more persons will do in weeks, computer can do them in a few seconds.
3. STORAGE: Computer can store data for as long as possible.
4. HANDLES REPETITIVE TASK: Computer can repeat a thing as many times as possible.
5. MULTITASKING: Computer can do many things at the same time.